- ¾ pound lean ground beef-
- ½ cup minced onion-
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes-
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste-
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles-
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- ¾ pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Heat ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat in a stovetop pan until well browned. Once browned stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season the mixture with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring regularly.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add lasagna noodles to the water and cook for 8 to 10 minutes until soft. Drain the water from the pot and rinse the noodles with cold water. In a separate bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (1t0 degrees C).
- Begin layering the lasagna by spreading 1 1/2 cups of the meat sauce in the bottom of a 13-inch baking dish. Lay noodles side-by-side lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture on top of the noodles and top with mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce on top of the mozzarella. Repeat layers until sauce, noodles, and ricotta mixtures are used up fully. Top the lasagna with
remaining mozzarella. Cover the dish with foil and either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese to keep the cheese from sticking.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake uncovered lasagna for an additional 25 minutes. Allow the dish to cool fully before serving.
Don't Miss a Thing
Sign-up to receive helpful tips, news and exclusive offers.