The satisfaction that you get from bringing all your friends and family together for a dinner party is hard to beat. However, hosting does entail doing a little work before, during and after the festivities. Notably, when you spot cloudy dinner glasses.
You’ll probably have to venture to the depths of the cupboard to provide glasses for everyone. If these glasses are cloudy, it may have just happened over time, but this process is sped up in hard water areas where deposits, such as limescale, can cling to your glass and dishes, or in soft water areas where corrosion is caused by heat exposure, poor glass quality, and overly long dishwasher cycles. Fortunately, there are a few simple steps you can take to escape the cycle of buying and throwing out glasses.
For starters, check if your glass cloudiness is caused by hard or soft water by trying the vinegar test. Soak a small dish towel or rag in a small amount of white vinegar and wipe the glass with the cloth. If the glass is no longer cloudy, then the cloudiness was caused by hard water build up. If you wipe the glass with vinegar and it is still cloudy, then that is etching caused by soft water.
Tips to Prevent Cloudy Glasses in the Future:
To protect your dishes and keep your glasses sparkling clean now and, in the future, follow the below steps.
- Use a powerful detergent like Finish® Quantum® (placed in your dishwasher’s main wash compartment). This not only delivers a true clean the first time every time, but also employs a unique protective action to shield glasses from going cloudy and dull.
- Fill your dishwasher’s rinse aid dispenser with Finish® Jet Dry® once a month. Finish® Jet Dry® gets your glasses drier vs detergent alone and ensures the ultimate clean and shine.
- Once a month, use Finish® Dishwasher Deep Cleaner Liquid, to safely and effectively remove mineral build-up; and once a week use Finish® In-Wash Dishwasher Cleaner Tablets during a full wash, to remove hidden grease and grime.
How to Remove Hard Water Stains from Glass:
- Continue following the steps above, using Finish® Quantum®, Finish® Jet Dry® and Finish® Dishwasher Cleaner, and incorporate Finish® Hard Water Detergent Booster.
- Pour Finish® Hard Water Detergent Booster into your dishwasher’s prewash chamber to help remove spots, hard water film, and mineral build-up. If no pre-wash chamber is present, place 2 tbsp of product in the bottom of the dishwasher.
Tips to Prevent Soft Water Glass Corrosion:
- Check that glasses are dishwasher-safe when buying.
- Make sure that any water softening units are on the correct setting.
- Run the dishwasher, selecting a glass-washing cycle if your dishwasher has one, as these are shorter and lower temperature.
- Open the door to allow steam to escape once the cycle has finished.
- Let your glasses cool before removing them.
By keeping these few tips in mind, you should never have to deal with cloudy glasses again and your dinner table will look Instagram-ready. Relax and enjoy yourself, comfortable in the knowledge that thanks to Finish® Quantum®, Jet Dry®, Hard Water Booster and Dishwasher Cleaner, your glasses will be looking shiny and new for longer.