Have you noticed that your dishwasher isn't cleaning as thoroughly as it used to? It's possible that it needs cleaning. You might think: its job is to clean, how can it get dirty? But grease and other materials can build up slowly over time and may affect your dishwasher's performance. To combat this build up, you just have to make cleaning your dishwasher a once-in-a-while priority. Set a calendar reminder and use these tips to get the most out of your dishwasher.
What to use to clean your dishwasher
In order to clean your dishwasher effectively, you’ll need to use a good dishwasher cleaner. Our Finish® Dishwasher Cleaner cleans your dishwasher by breaking down grease and limescale and eliminating odor, particularly in the hidden parts of your machine. It works to clean even the hardest-to-reach parts of your machine, like the heating element and sprayer arms.
How to clean the inside of your dishwasher
To clean inside of your dishwasher, follow these simple steps:
- Empty your dishwasher so that there is nothing left in it.
- Take your bottle of Finish® Dishwasher Cleaner and instead of removing the cap, take the sticker off the top of the bottle to expose the wax plug.
- Place the Dishwasher Cleaner bottle upside down inside the silverware basket or anywhere in the bottom of the dish rack.
- Close the dishwasher door and put your dishwasher on its hottest cycle.
- After the cycle is complete, and the dishwasher is off, remove the bottle and recycle it.
How to clean the outside of your dishwasher
While our dishwashing cleaner covers everything inside your dishwasher, you’ll want to clean the outside occasionally too. After all, that's the part people can actually see, and small hands, pet noses and the wear and tear of a busy kitchen can leave splatters and stains. Wipe down the door and any exposed buttons with a cloth or sponge and some hot, soapy water for a dishwasher that looks as good on the outside as it does inside!
How often should I clean my dishwasher?
We recommend cleaning your dishwasher once per month with our Finish® Dishwasher Cleaner for best results. However, here are some warning signs that signal your dishwasher needs a clean:
- An unpleasant smell
- Cutlery/crockery leaves a cycle covered with food or grease
- Clogging of the sprayer arm
Aside from this, there are also less obvious signs, such as build-up of grease and limescale occurring in the hidden but vital parts of your machine. If you know your home is in an area with hard water, you’re more likely to have limescale build up. Make it a point to use dishwasher cleaner at least once per month.
Knowing how and when to clean your dishwasher will help you properly maintain one of your most useful kitchen appliances. You’ll not only help lengthen its lifespan, but make sure your dishes and glasses come out clean and shining.