- 1 lb. dry elbow macaroni pasta
- ½ cup salted butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, at room temperature (2% or whole milk)
- 2 cups half-and-half, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 ounces cubed american cheese, at room temperature
- 3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- Boil salted water and cook noodles until just before al dente, according to package directions. Drain and drizzle a small amount of olive oil to prevent sticking.
- While noodles are cooking, make the roux and béchamel sauce in a Dutch oven or large saucepan using the butter, flour, milk, and half-and-half. Whisk in the worcestershire sauce, cheeses, and seasoning.
- Stir in the cooked macaroni until all of the noodles are well coated.
- Pour noodle and cheese mixture into a 9 x 13-inch (3-quart) baking dish. Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Bake in a 325°F oven for about 15 minutes, until cheese is melted on top and the inside is hot and bubbly.
Don't Miss a Thing
Sign-up to receive helpful tips, news and exclusive offers.